The Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) was established under the Council of Ministers resolution no (1) dated 07/01/1424 H, as an independent body corporate that directly reports to The President of Council of Ministers. SFDA assumes the procedural, executive, and supervisory, which carried out by the currently existing agencies. The main objectives of the SFDA is to ensure safety of food, drug for human and animal, safety of biological and chemical substance as well as electronic devices that related to human health.The Authority’s Board of directors is composed as following:
- Chairman of the Board of the Directors, shall be appointed by Royal Decree
- Representative of Ministry of Interior
- Representative of Ministry of Commerce
- Representative of Ministry of Municipal, Rural Affairs and Housing
- Representative of Ministry of Finance
- Representative of Ministry of Health
- Representative of Ministry of Education
- Representative of Ministry of Economy and Planning
- Representative of Ministry of Environment ,Water and Agriculture
- Representative of Ministry of Industry and Mineral Resources
- General Director of Saudi Arabian Commission for Specifications and Standardizations
- Executive President of SFDA
- Four representatives of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in the Kingdom to be nominated by the Council of Saudi Chambers for a period of three years (renewable once)
- Two representatives of SFDA employees, one of them specialized in food sector and the other in drug sector. They will be nominated by H.E CEO of SFDA for a three years(renewable once)The appointment of Council members shall be pursuant to a resolution by the Council of Ministers.
Royal Decree No. (A/181) dated 26/08/1473 AH was issued appointing H.E. Dr. Tawfiq Bin Fawzan Al Rabiah as a Chairman Board of Directors
Authority's main objectives
The main purpose of the SFDA establishment is to regulate, oversee, and monitor food, drug, medical devices, as well as to set mandatory standard specifications thereof, whether they are imported or locally manufactured. The authority responsible for monitoring and/or testing activities in the SFDA or other agency's laboratories. Moreover, the SFDA is in charge of consumer’s awareness on all matters related to food, drug and medical devices and all other products and supplies.
- Observe the safety, security, and effectiveness of food and drug for humans and animal.
- Observe the safety of complementary biological and chemical substances, cosmetics and pesticides.
- Observe the safety of medical devices and its impact on public health.
- Ensure accuracy and safety of medical and diagnostic devices.
- Launch clear policies and procedures for food and drug, and plan to achieve and implement these policies. As well as setting a scientific base that can be used for educational purposes, advisory services and executive programs in the fields of food and medicine.
- Conduct research and applied studies to identify health problems, their causes, determine its impact on public, with the consideration of methods for research / studies evaluation. The authority shall establish scientific bases for awareness and consulting services and executive programs in the fields of food and drug.
- Control and supervise licenses procedures for food, drugs and medical devices factories.
- Disseminate and exchange information with local and international scientific and legal agencies, and setting up a database for food and drug.